cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrija Panic <andrija.pa...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: how to run rhel 6.x VM as PV VM on xenserver 7.1CU1?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:54:07 GMT
Additionally, I expect that following table is correct in sense of paper vs reality, but always
good to check: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenserver/7-1/system-requirements/guest-os-support.html

andrija.panic@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrija Panic <andrija.panic@shapeblue.com>
Sent: 29 January 2019 00:52
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: how to run rhel 6.x VM as PV VM on xenserver 7.1CU1?

Hi Yiping,

If you do the following SQL:    SELECT * FROM guest_os_hypervisor WHERE hypervisor_type="XenServer"
and hypervisor_version="7.1.0" AND guest_os_id IN (SELECT id FROM guest_os WHERE display_name="CentOS
6.4 (64-bit)");
+-------------------+
| guest_os_name     |
+-------------------+
| CentOS 6 (64-bit) |
+-------------------+

It basically shows you, that for ACS OS type called "CentOS 6.4 (64-bit)", this is translated/matches/mapped
to the "CentOS 6 (64-bit)" as seen from the XenServer 7.1.x hypervisor.
Now, there IS a possibility that some of these mappings is incorrect...
I would just go to XenServer and try to deploy manually (via XenCenter etc) a VM with selecting
the OS type from above SQL results set (CentOS 6 (64-bit)) and observe if it gets provisioned
as HVM or PV - if XenServer brings it as HVM, then you can see it's XenServer making it HVM.
But if XenServer starts that manually deployed VM as PV - then we can assume some wrong mapping
from ACS side.

If you have time to test this, I'm also interested in root cause - since I saw with 7.1.x
XenServer that you can't even restore a VM from snapshot, if you change OS type on existing
VM in ACS from, i.e. centos 6.4 to 6.5 etc.

Kind regards,
Andrija

Amadeus House, Floral Street, London  WC2E 9DPUK @shapeblue