cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Yiping Zhang <yzh...@marketo.com>
Subject how to run rhel 6.x VM as PV VM on xenserver 7.1CU1?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2019 22:15:58 GMT
Hi, All:

I have a large number of RHEL 6.x VM instances running in our ACS environment. Last time when
I upgraded our XenServer from 6.5SP1 to 7.0,   I have to change my templates to assign OS
TYPE as “RHEL 6.4 (64bit)” so that my VM instances can be started as PV instances. Anything
above “RHEL 6.5 (64bits)” would be started as HVM instances and they would get stuck during
boot.

Last week, after I upgraded my lab hypervisors to use XenServer 7.1CU1,  all my (lab) rhel
6.x VM instances would get started as HVM instances, thus stuck during boot.  I even tried
to change template’s OS TYPE to other types such as “rhel 5.10/5.0/6.0/, Other PV(64bit)”
etc without any luck.

What did I miss?  My lab is running ACS 4.11.2.0 packages from Shapeblue.  According to Citrix
document, https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenserver/7-1/downloads/vm-users-guide.pdf,  RHEL
6.x should always be started as PV instance. So why I only get HVM instances instead?

Is it CloudStack or XenServer which decides an instance to be started as PV or HVM instance?

Thanks, all helps are appreciated.

Yiping