cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Simon Weller <swel...@ena.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Information on VXLAN implementations (and other guest isolation methods)
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:29:03 GMT
Hi Alexandre,

VXLAN on KVM works very well and we've had it in production for a number of years now.

Please see this document on how it is implemented: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Linux+native+VXLAN+support+on+KVM+hypervisor

Cloudstack does create all the VXLAN configuration for each new network, you  just need to
have a working underlay that supports multicast (e.g. an IP on the VXLAN interface and iptables
rules rules that allow multicast traffic).
We place our VXLANs into a VLAN and expose that VLAN via a KVM traffic label to the VXLAN
guest network.

- Si

________________________________
From: Alexandre Bruyere <bruyere.alexandre@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 10:32 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Information on VXLAN implementations (and other guest isolation methods)

Hello.

I'm currently investigating guest isolation methods for a project. The idea
was thrown about to use VXLANs, but it's rather fuzzy on how it actually is
implemented.

Does Cloudstack automatically create and maintain VXLAN connections, or
does it ride off an already-implemented VXLAN system configured under the
hood?

And what would be the use cases for VXLANs? Would it be appropriate to use
in a small-scale network for hybrid clusters? If not, what would the
Cloudstack community recommend?

Thanks for your time!