cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Eric Lee Green <eric.lee.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: number of cores
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2018 17:15:24 GMT

On 11/19/18 03:56, Andrija Panic wrote:
> Hi Ugo,
>
> Why would you want to do this, just curious ?
>
> I believe it's not possible, but anyway (at least with KVM, probably same
> for other hypervisors) it doesn't even makes sense/use, since when
> deploying a VM, ACS query host free/unused number of MHz (GHz), so it's not
> even relevant for ACS - number of cores in not relevant in ACS calculations
> during VM deployment.

I think you are misunderstanding the question. I have 72 cores in my
cluster. Each of my hosts has 24 cores. With 4.9.2, I can provision 10
virtual machines, each of which is programmed with 8 cores, meaning 80
cores total. They on average are using only 25% of the CPU available to
them (they need to be able to burst) and my compute servers on average
are only 40% CPU used so that is not a problem.

When I tried upgrading to 4.11.1,  the dashboard showed a new value "#
of CPU Cores" in red and showed that I had more cores provisioned for
virtual machines than available in the cluster (80 versus 72 available).
Cloudstack would not launch new virtual machines. I shut down two
virtual machines, and now I can launch one, but not the second because I
would need 80 cores total in my cluster. I cannot launch all 10 virtual
machines because I would need 80 cores total. I know this because I
tried it. I then used MySQL to tell Cloudstack that each of my hosts has
48 cores (144 total), and suddenly I can launch all of my virtual machines.

Is this a bug in 4.11.1? Or is this expected behavior? If expected
behavior, is there a way to over-provision "total # of cores used" other
than to go into MySQL and tell it that my hosts have more cores than
they in fact have? (Note that my service offerings are limited to 8
cores max, so there's no way to launch a single VM with more cores than
exists on a physical host, since all my hosts have 24 cores).