cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Yordan Kostov <Yordan.Kos...@worldsupport.info>
Subject Cloudstack database and orphaned entities
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2018 09:32:45 GMT
Dear all,

                While testing different setups and also deleting them I noticed that it is
occasional/common occurrence that orphaned system VMs or hosts remain in the database.

                For example - during removal of a zone (system VMs, secondary storages, host,
cluster, pod, networks and then the zone) if not executed in the correct order system VMs
are left orphaned in the DB (no seen in the GUI) and thus preventing deletion of the POD.
The error (quoted by memory) says "there are existing hosts so operation cannot proceed".
Other times the orphaned VMs lock public IPs preventing deletion of zone networks.

                What I did to go around the issues is go inside the DB and tweak the cloud
-> vm_instance  & hosts table settings for the particular system instance to mimic
the one for other already removed instances (changing the status to "removed", setings modification
date etc).

                What is the best way to approach such issue in production?
                Also what is the reasoning for the system VMs are both present in VM_instance
table hosts tables at the same time? It feels counter intuitive to look for/insert VMs in
the hosts table.

Best regards,
Jordan Kostov