cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Merrill <david.merr...@otelco.com>
Subject Re: TAP/SPAN...
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2018 20:19:07 GMT
I'd hoped I could simply "mirror the VLAN" to a specific interface on the switch, but Dell
Support says I cannot pull this off with the switches we have in place.

So, I'm back to considering mucking with the client's virtual router.

What this site suggests:

 *   https://networkhop.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/port-mirroring-with-iptables/

seems reasonable (in principle):

 iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TEE –gateway a.b.c.d
 iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TEE –gateway a.b.c.d

and easy enough to undo (in principle).

Downsides include:

 1. Overhead associated with duplicating packets
 2. Redoing it should the router need to be recreated (presuming that any edits wouldn't stick).

Surely I can't be the only one to have considered doing something like this, maybe folks run
some a 3rd-party virtual appliance to get this kind of thing done?

David Merrill
Senior Systems Engineer,
Managed and Private/Hybrid Cloud Services
OTELCO
92 Oak Street, Portland ME 04101
office 207.772.5678 <callto:207.772.5678>
www.otelco.com <http://www.otelco.com>/business/managed-services