cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Eric Lee Green <eric.lee.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Autostarting VMs on KVM?
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:39:19 GMT
If you set the offering to allow HA and create the instances as HA
instances, they will autostart once the management server figures out
they're really dead (either because it used STONITH to kill the
unreachable node, or because that node became reachable again). When I
had to reboot my cluster due to a massive network failure (critical 10
gigabit switch croaked, had to slide a new one in), all the instances
marked "HA" came back up all by themselves without me having to do
anything about it.

On 8/15/18 09:11, Asai wrote:
> Thanks, Dag,
>
> Looks like scripting it is the way to go.
> Asai
>

>> On Aug 15, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Asai,
>>
>> In short – no that is not a use case CloudStack is designed for, the VM states
are controlled by CloudStack management. You should however look at using HA service offerings
and host HA (if you meet all the pre-requisites). Between these mechanisms VMs can be brought
up on other hosts if a host goes down.

>> Alternatively if you are looking to trigger an automated startup of VMs I suggest
you simply script this with e.g. cloudmonkey. Keep in mind this still requires a healthy management
server though.

>> Regards,
>> Dag Sonstebo
>> Cloud Architect
>> ShapeBlue
>>
>> On 15/08/2018, 16:47, "Asai" <asai@globalchangemusic.org> wrote:
>>
>>     Thanks, Dag,
>>
>>     On boot of the server, I would like the VMs to start up automatically, rather
than me having to go to the management console and start them manually.  We suffered some
downtime and in restarting the hardware, I had to manually get everything back up and running.
>>     Asai
>>

>> Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
>> www.shapeblue.com
>> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London  WC2N 4HSUK
>> @shapeblue
>>

>>> On Aug 15, 2018, at 1:22 AM, Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi Asai,
>>>
>>> Can you explain a bit more what you are trying to achieve? Everything in CloudStack
is controlled by the management server, not the KVM host, and in general the assumption is
a KVM host is always online.

>>> Regards,
>>> Dag Sonstebo
>>> Cloud Architect
>>> ShapeBlue
>>>
>>> On 15/08/2018, 03:38, "Asai" <asai@globalchangemusic.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Greetings,
>>>
>>>    Can anyone offer advice on how to autostart VMs at boot time using KVM?  There
doesn’t seem to be any documentation for this in the CS docs.  We’re on CS 4.9.2.0.