cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Migrating workloads into CloudStack
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2018 09:29:12 GMT
Hi Mark,

I think there was a similar thread a few weeks back either on users@ or dev@. In short there
is no mechanism for simply onboarding existing VMs in CloudStack yet.
So the official process is:
- Export existing VM to the respective hypervisor format (OVA, QCOW2, etc).
- Import as new template into CloudStack using the GUI or registerTemplate API: http://cloudstack.apache.org/api/apidocs-4.11/apis/registerTemplate.html
- Start new VM from this.

I believe there are a couple of people on the list who have managed to shoehorn existing running
VMs into CloudStack – but this does take a lot of DB hacking to achieve.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

From: Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, 22 June 2018 at 08:15
To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org" <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Migrating workloads into CloudStack

Mark I do not feel qualified to answer but nobody else does, so ... I don't know these tools.
Can your send a pointert to the one you wish to use? I would expect the root admin priovilidges
are required as you would have to create the proper offerings and networks for the VMs to
be migated too. That might be overdone if you have all in place and only need to deployVm()s.

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Werner, Mark <Mark.Werner@unisys.com<mailto:Mark.Werner@unisys.com>>