cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Amount of virtual machines per host
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2018 09:04:30 GMT
Hi Dmitri,

This depends on so many factors that only you yourself can answer this. Your VM density all
depends on the spec of your hardware, your overprovisioning of RAM/CPU and also very much
on what size and workloads your VMs run and how much disk activity they have. When you on
top of this make CloudStack management compete for resources with KVM on the same box then
sooner or later one of your resources will start to run low – in your case it’s impossible
to say without looking at the performance stats on your server – it could be CPU, RAM or
disk I/O. A density of 450 VMs / server is not something we see often – I guess theoretically
this could be achieved on light workloads and high spec servers – but most CloudStack users
will run with lower figures than this.

Transactions from secondary storage to primary storage: in short the first time a template
is used it is copied by the hypervisor from secondary (where it was uploaded to) to primary.
The second time it is used CloudStack checks if the template is already in the chosen primary
pool and if it is just uses the existing copy for linked clone. The Secondary Storage VM is
mainly there to handle uploads and downloads to secondary storage as well as some snapshot
operations.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo