cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Adam Witwicki <awitwi...@oakfordis.com>
Subject RE: Importing Hyper-V to Cloudstack 4.11.0
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2018 12:49:23 GMT
Andrija,

I used qemu-img to convert to qcow2 since I am using KVM with ceph - when I view the console
I get the emulated BIOS saying no bootable device found - this must be before any IDE or VirtIO
drivers.
I have also tried with NFS storage and get the same boot error.

This process worked on 4.9, I notice there are more template options on 4.11.0 do I need to
do any thing different?

Thanks

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrija Panic <andrija.panic@gmail.com>
Sent: 06 July 2018 13:45
To: users <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Importing Hyper-V to Cloudstack 4.11.0

** This mail originated from OUTSIDE the Oakford corporate network. Treat hyperlinks and attachments
in this email with caution. **

Hi Adam,

havent done that myslef (but helped some customers) - if you are running OS TYpe :"Windows
XXX" - anything concrete version - this means no VirtIO drives are needed, since all IDE,
so no drivers needed)  If using "Windows PV" this means you need to have installed VirtIO
drivers inside the OS (I suggest, on HyperV VM, adding new hardware via device manager and
and only then exporting VHDX to qcow2.

Btw, I don't know if VHDX can be imported into ACS directly ? - perhaps it needs previous
conversion to QCOW2 format, and then upload qcow2 natively (again, not sure,  so I might be
wrong here).

Also please note that there is something related to Hardware Abstraction Layer in Windows
(if Windows at all ?), when some of the changes (even installing VirtIO in some cases on existing
KVM VM) will bring server down unable to boot - bcdedit /detecthal - google for this one -
i.e. force OS to detect HAL again, for proper boot/fix.

Hope that helps

Andrija

--

Andrija Panić