cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jose Manuel Mora Tavarez <jose.m...@edu.uaa.mx>
Subject Re: Doubt on LOCAL DISK requirement for installing CloudStack on ESXI 4.1 computing nodes.
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2018 20:32:41 GMT
Paul, thanks for your comment. We have only licenses for ESXI 4.1 since 5 years ago and a financial
restriction to update them. I expect, we can install CloudStack on our current vCenter 4.1
platform. I mean, deploying the Management Server into a virtualized CentOS.7 and accessing
3 IBM Blades HS22 with ESXI 4.1 as hypervisor hosts.

Thanks! Manuel

PS. It is an academic  LabDataCenter for research and teaching and not directly for business
production.

Cloudstack documentation actually reports:

Management Server, Database, and Storage System Requirements<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.11/overview/index.html#contents>

<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.11/overview/index.html#management-server-database-and-storage-system-requirements>

The machines that will run the Management Server and MySQL database must meet the following
requirements ...

  *   4 GB of memory
  *   250 GB of local disk (more results in better capability; 500 GB recommended)

but the Storage configuration for the Primary one is:

Primary Storage<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.11/storage_setup.html#primary-storage>

CloudStack is designed to work with a wide variety of commodity and enterprise-rated storage
systems. CloudStack can also leverage the local disks within the hypervisor hosts if supported
by the selected hypervisor. Storage type support for guest virtual disks differs based on
hypervisor selection.

Storage Type    XenServer       vSphere KVM
NFS     Supported       Supported       Supported
iSCSI   Supported       Supported via VMFS      Supported via Clustered Filesystems
Fiber Channel   Supported via Pre-existing SR   Supported       Supported via Clustered Filesystems
Local Disk      Supported       Supported       Supported
Regarding ESXI 4.1, it is reported:

If you want to use the VMware vSphere hypervisor to run guest virtual machines, install vSphere
on the host(s) in your cloud.

System Requirements for vSphere Hosts - Software requirements:
<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.11/hypervisor/vsphere.html#software-requirements>

  *   vSphere and vCenter, versions 4.1, 5.0, 5.1 or 5.5.