cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From victor <vic...@ihnetworks.com>
Subject Re: KVM HostHA
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2018 15:10:26 GMT
Hello Guys,

I have tried the following two cases.

1, "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger"

2, Pulled the network cable of one of the host

In both cases, the following happened.

=====
2018-03-13 08:22:54,978 DEBUG [c.c.a.m.ClusteredAgentManagerImpl]
(AgentTaskPool-15:ctx-c8d9f5d2) (logid:c0a3d2da) Notifying other nodes
of to disconnect
2018-03-13 08:22:54,983 INFO [c.c.a.m.AgentManagerImpl]
(AgentTaskPool-16:ctx-d8204625) (logid:ffe4a426) Host 4 is disconnecting
with event AgentDisconnected
2018-03-13 08:22:54,985 DEBUG [c.c.a.m.AgentManagerImpl]
(AgentTaskPool-16:ctx-d8204625) (logid:ffe4a426) Host 4 is already Alert
2018-03-13 08:22:54,985 DEBUG [c.c.a.m.AgentManagerImpl]
(AgentTaskPool-16:ctx-d8204625) (logid:ffe4a426) Deregistering link for
4 with state Alert
2018-03-13 08:22:54,985 DEBUG [c.c.a.m.AgentManagerImpl]
(AgentTaskPool-16:ctx-d8204625) (logid:ffe4a426) Remove Agent : 4
=====

But nothing happened for theĀ  vm's in that node. I have waited for one
hour and the VM's in that node has been migrated to the other available
hosts. I think the issue is that the management server still thinks that
the VM's in that host is running. Please check the following logs

=======
2018-03-13 11:08:25,882 DEBUG [c.c.c.CapacityManagerImpl]
(CapacityChecker:ctx-1d8378af) (logid:ae906a50) Found 1 VMs on host 4
2018-03-13 11:08:25,888 DEBUG [c.c.c.CapacityManagerImpl]
(CapacityChecker:ctx-1d8378af) (logid:ae906a50) Found 0 VM, not running
on host 4
========

On 03/13/2018 04:20 PM, Jon Marshall wrote:
> I tried "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger" which stopped me getting into the server but
it did not stop the server responding to an ipmitool request on the manager eg -

> "ipmitool -I lanplus -H 172.16.7.29 -U admin3 -P letmein chassis status"
>

> from the management server got an answer saying the chassis power was on so CS never
registered the compute node as down.

> I am obviously doing something wrong but cannot work it out.
>

> The management server has one NIC - 172.16.7.4
>

> Each compute node has 3 NICs -
>

>                                         cnode1                        cnode2
>

> mangement NIC        172.16.7.5                   172.16.7.6
>
> vm NIC                      172.16.6.130                 172.16.6.131
>
> storage -                     172.16.250.4               172.16.250.5
>

> Dell LOM (for Idrac)   172.16.7.29                172.16.7.30
>

> the dell LOM IPs are the ones used to configure OOBM  in the UI
>

> If I pull the storage NIC presumably nothing will happen as the ipmitool check is running
across the management NIC so I need to pull both ?

> My understanding of host HA was the management server monitored the compute nodes using
ipmitool and if it did not get a response because the host was down it would fence off that
host and move the VMs to an active compute node.

> This is obviously too simplistic so could someone explain how it is meant to work and
what it is protecting against ?

> ________________________________

mgmt. NIC is unplugged, Host HA will detect the disk activity and conclude that there is nothing
it can do, as the VMs are still running other than mark the hosts as degraded.

> Kind regards,
>
> Paul Angus
>
> paul.angus@shapeblue.com
> [http://www.shapeblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/logo.png]<http://www.shapeblue.com/>
>
> Shapeblue - The CloudStack Company<http://www.shapeblue.com/>
> www.shapeblue.com
> Rapid deployment framework for Apache CloudStack IaaS Clouds. CSForge is a framework
developed by ShapeBlue to deliver the rapid deployment of a standardised ...