cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Redundant Virtual Routers on VMware?
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2017 07:32:30 GMT
Thanks all for your feedback.

I found an issue with the vm_tempalte configuration for systemvmtemplates. When you've a fresh
installation of CloudStack with VMware 5.5 or above, it uses the guest_os_id 15 (which is
Debian 32-bit) and it causes VMware to half-allocate the configured default RAM of 256MB.
In my test environments based on VMware 55u3 and 65u1, I found VRs to only get about 157MB
RAM.

This is not an issue for non-rvr networks, but in case of rVR network (isolated or VPCs),
the redundant VR (specifically the master VR) would crash frequently due to OOM triggered
kernel panic. This issue could be fixed if you update the guest_os_id for the VMware systemvmtemplate
to id=99 (other64Linux, or something newer like Debian7 64-bit or above). Due to backward
compatibility for VMware 5.0+, id=99 was used as newer OS are not supported on older vCenters.

With this fix and couple other optimization tricks (such as not rebooting on patching and
not rebooting again to reconfigure nics/macs and use udevadm), I could get VMware to pass
those rVR smoketests so there is no need to skip rVR tests on Vmware now! With that said,
this feature still may not be suitable for production usage though.

- Rohit

________________________________
From: daniel.herrmann@zv.fraunhofer.de <daniel.herrmann@zv.fraunhofer.de>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:39:24 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org; dev@cloudstack.apache.org; Rohit Yadav
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Redundant Virtual Routers on VMware?

Hi,

We are not running ACS but ACP, currently in version 4.7.11. We’d love to run rVR on VMWare
with ESXi, but as you pointed out it is currently not supported.

Regards
Daniel

--
Daniel Herrmann
Network Engineer – Fraunhofer Private Cloud

Fraunhoferstraße 5, 64283 Darmstadt
Tel.: +49 6151 155346
Mail: daniel.herrmann@zv.fraunhofer.de

On 14.12.17, 10:21, "Rene Moser" <mail@renemoser.net> wrote:

    Hi

    On 12/08/2017 11:56 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
    > Is anyone using redundant virtual routers with VMware, either in VPCs or isolated
networks (with recent or older versions of ACS)?

    No, not currently. We once had rVR but this is quite a while ago. We
    migrated away but it was related to issues finally turned out not
    related to rVR.

    Regards
    René

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com