cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] Debian 9 "stretch" systemvmtemplate for master
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2017 19:02:24 GMT
Awesome work!

More replies below

On 12/08/2017 03:58 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> All,
>

> Our effort to move to Debian9 systemvmtemplate seems to be soon coming to conclusion,
the following high-level goals have been achieved so far:

> - Several infra improvements such as faster patching (no reboots on patching), smaller
setup/patch scripts and even smaller cloud-early-config, old file cleanups and directory/filesystem
refactorings

> - Tested and boots/runs on KVM, VMware, XenServer and HyperV (thanks to Paul for hyperv)
>
> - Boots, patches, runs systemvm/VR in about 10s (tested with KVM/XenServer and NFS+SSDs)
with faster console-proxy (cloud) service launch

> - Disk size reduced to 2GB from the previous 3+GB with still bigger /var/log partition
>
> - Migration to systemd based cloud-early-config, cloud services etc (thanks Wido!)
>
> - Strongswan provided vpn/ipsec improvements (ports based on work from Will/Syed)
>
> - Several fixes to redundant virtual routers and scripts for VPC (ports from Remi json/gzip
PR and additional fixes/improvements to execute update_config faster)

> - Packages installation improvements (thanks to Rene for review)
>
> - Several integration test fixes -- all smoke tests passing on KVM and most on XenServer,
work on fixing VMware test failures is on-going

> - Several UI/UX improvements and systemvm python codebase linting/unit tests added to
Travis

> Here's the pull request:

> I've temporarily hosted the templates here:
>
> http://hydra.yadav.xyz/debian9/
>

> Outstanding tasks/issues:
>
> - Should we skip rVR related tests for VMware noting a reference to a jira ticket to
renable them once the feature is support for VMware?

> - Fix intermittent failures for XenServer and test failures on VMware
>
> - Misc issues and items (full checklist available on the PR)
>
> - Review and additional test effort from community
>

> After your due review, if we're able to show that the test results are on par with the
previous 4.9.2.0/4.9.3.0 smoke test results (i.e. most are passing) on XenServer, KVM, and
VMware I would proceed with merging the PR by end of this month. Thoughts, comments?

We might want to look/verify that this works:

- Running with VirtIO-SCSI under KVM (allows disk trimming)
- Make sure the Qemu Guest Agent works

If those two things work we can keep the footprint of the SSVM rather small.

Wido