cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: hypervisor choice
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2017 14:37:20 GMT
Thanks for your input.
I really like CentOS as well. Partly because I have been using it for so
long. If I recall, I went from SCO Unix to Mandrake to CentOS (4?).
I am baffled about what changed between the 327 release and the 514
release. The latest 693 release still gives me the same problem.
It is frustrating to have a machine that boots and runs just fine with
327 release of CentOS7 but panics if it tries to boot with the latest.

I have this on several machines of differing age. They are all AMD
processors but the motherboards are different of course.
The installation CD (ISO) of the 514 versions will not even startup so
it has to be something pretty fundamental.

RedHat has opened up their developer program so I might start to use
RedHat to see if the problem can be identified in that community.

Thanks again for responding with your advice.

Ron

On 13/11/2017 4:36 AM, Dag Sonstebo wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> We regularly use CentOS6 and 7 for KVM, and have never had an issue with non-booting
hosts – but then again our workloads are lab and testing based hence seldom get upgraded
and seldom run for more than a few weeks.

> Saying that – we only ever use the CentOS minimal install, never with GUI – as you
say it’s surplus to requirements in most situations and comes with a lot of baggage. If
you need GUI tools like virt-manager you can either run it on a remote host or do a minimal
local install and open it up over a SSH forwarded X11-session – which all in all means you
don’t have to install the full GUI on each host.

> With regards to Ubuntu – Eric has given a good rundown (personally I have no issues
with Ubuntu – I just find CentOS simpler and reliable).

--
Ron Wheeler
President