cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Anyone try to run cloudstack on google cloud?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2017 09:13:42 GMT
Hi Jay,

Don’t think anyone is working on this, most people in the CloudStack community run on premise.
You also have to take into account what kind of networking is on offer from Google, AWS and
so on. If you ran your guest isolation over Layer3 (i.e. basic zones and possibly some SDN
overlay) you may get this to work – but you would still have to take control of the IP ranges
being offered in each Google/AWS availability zone such that you could consume these in the
nested CloudStack environment. Layer2 advanced zones (VLANs) is probably going to be a big
no-no, I can’t see any cloud provider letting you have control of L2 unless you have dedicated
networking (e.g. Direct Connect?).

So – ultimately if you can get network isolation to work with what’s allowed within the
framework of AWS VPCs or the Google networking equivalent – then you may have a chance,
if not you’re going to struggle. I would suggest you start with basic zones and see how
you get on.

Obviously, I’m happy to be proven wrong on this – if you find a solution then please let
the community know.

On a sidenote – a few people in the community now run our Trillian framework – which allows
you to run nested CloudStack within CloudStack (all on premise) as long as the top layer hypervisor
is VMware – more info on https://github.com/shapeblue/Trillian.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect