cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Moving to embedded Jetty and fatjar CloudStack
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2017 12:09:45 GMT
All,

Distro provided tomcat6/7/* has caused production issues for few users in the past. Due to
this, the ACS deployments are inconsistent with the version/jars of tomcat in use. By allowing
exploded war to be shipped, can allow admins to sometimes overwrite cloudstack jars causing
production issues. I think moving to a CloudStack uber/fat jar will make it easier to deploy
CloudStack in environments and write custom init/systemd scripts and fix cloudstack setup
databases/management scripts without assuming the distro we're on.

With this discussion thread, I would like to engage with the community if they've any reservations
from moving away from tomcat to embedded jetty + fat/uber jar based packaging. Please share
your thoughts and comments.

On very high level the packaging will provide the following:

- A ServerDaemon class that can accept custom location of UI (webapp directory), logging,
and other environment options, part of the fatjar.

- A config file (xml/yml or otherwise) where you can configure keystore/SSL-certificates,
paths (/client), ports, logging etc.

- Default libraries/plugin path at /usr/share/cloudstack-management/lib, UI path at /usr/share/cloudstack-management/webapp

- A default file (available at /etc/default/cloudstack-management or symlink at /etc/sysconfig
etc) where you can specific custom variables, java options, classpath etc.

- Refactored init.d/systemd scripts to be commonly used b/w rpm/deb build scripts

- A new/improve logrotate file

- Logging will be handled by log4j (the same xml/config file you normally use)

- Currently we're using jsvc to handle mgmt server process, however we may move to java+systemd
completely

Marc-Aurèle (ExoScale) and I have collaborated on this problem and we finally have a PR (not
complete) where we can show this actually works, please have a look:

Once the PR is accepted, we can include a topic page in the 4.11/future release notes docs
about upgrading in-place and setting up ssl certs etc.

Regards.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue