cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Instance with a larger disk size then Template
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2017 10:39:10 GMT
Hi Imran,

If you create a VM from template then the root disk adopts the size of the original template
– and the disk size your select is for *additional data disks*. So you probably now how
a 5GB root disk and a 300GB data disk attached.

In that case you should no use LVM to extend the root partition if you ever want to rely on
volume snapshots. There is no mechanism in CloudStack to exactly time snapshots of two disks
part of the same volume group – hence you can never use this for recovery.

All in all CloudStack works on the premise that your VM system volume resides on a single
disk – hence you will run into problems if you go outside these boundaries. Your best bet
is to either 1) build from ISO and select the 300GB disk – which will now apply to the root
disk, or 2) resize your root disk and use the LVM processes described in the other emails
to expand into the free space.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect