cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Network architecture
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2017 19:04:48 GMT
Hi Grégoire,

With those NICs (and without any other background).  I'd go with bonding your 1G NICs together
and your 10G NICs together, put primary and secondary storage over the 10G.  Mgmt traffic
is minimal and spread over all of your hosts, so would be public traffic, so these would be
fine over the bonded 1Gbs links.  Finally guest traffic, this would normally be fine over
the 1Gb links, especially if you throttle the traffic a little, unless you know that you'll
have especially high guest traffic.

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

-----Original Message-----
From: Grégoire Lamodière [mailto:g.lamodiere@dimsi.fr]
Sent: 04 July 2017 21:15
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Network architecture

Dear All,

In the process of implementing a new CS advanced zone (4.9.2), I am wondering about the best
network architecture to implement.
Any idea / advice would be highly appreciated.

1/ Each host has 4 networks adapters, 2 x 1 Gbe, 2 x 10 Gbe 2/ The PR Store is nfs based 10
Gbe 3/ The sec Store is nfs based 10 Gbe 4/ Maximum network offering is 1 Gbit to Internet
5/ Hypervisor Xen 7 6/ Hardware Hp Blade c7000

Right now, my choice would be :

1/ Bound the 2 gigabit networks cards and use the bound for mgmt + public 2/ Use 1 10Gbe for
storage network (operations on sec Store) 3/ Use 1 10 Gbe for guest traffic (and pr store
traffic by design)

This architecture sounds good in terms of performance (using 10 Gbe where it makes sense,
redundancy on mgmt + public with bound).

Another option would be to bound the 2 10 Gbe interfaces, and use Xen Label to manage Storage
and guest on the same physical network. This choice would give us faileover on storage and
guest traffic, but I am wondering if performances would be badly affected.

Do you have any feedback on this ?

Thanks all.

Best Regards.

---