cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Merrill <david.merr...@reliablenetworks.com>
Subject Retiring OLD Primary Storage - Dealing with System VMs and (assumed) Snapshot related artifacts
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2017 17:10:47 GMT
Hi All,

We're in the process of phasing out primary storage in one of our zones and had some questions
about dealing with:

    1. system VMs (Console Proxy & Secondary Storage)
    2. what looks like (to me), left over snapshot artifacts

We're running CloudPlatform 4.5.1 with XenServer hypervisors and the storage to be retired
are Dell Equallogic servers.

For the first item I think all I need to do is mark the primary storage on the Dell EQL's
into maintenance mode and then destroy them so that they'll come up on the new primary storage
(already provisioned & configured in CloudPlatform).

It's the second item that's giving me pause, when looking at the SR associated with the primary
storage I'm seeing disks named like:

    * ABCServer_ROOT-685_20160905000250

and in CloudPlatform have found an associated volume snapshot with the same date data. This
seemed odd because I've understood that volume snapshots should be on secondary storage.

I deleted the snapshot in CloudPlatform thinking that perhaps the disk above would disappear
from view when looking at the SR in XenCenter, but it's still there. The impression I'm getting
is that perhaps this is left over from some volume snapshot failure to clean up?

How can I best chase this down? I'd like to retire this storage but I'd like to make sure
that once it's gone there isn't something in the database that's still referring items there.

Thanks,
David

A Message From...
David Merrill - Senior Systems Engineer

"Uptime. All the time." ® www.reliablenetworks.com

Fifteen Years In Business 2003 - 2017

477 Congress Street, Suite 812 | Portland, ME 04101 | ( 207) 772-5678

private/hybrid cloud hosting | Zimbra groupware | managed services
proactive maintenance and monitoring | technology consulting

Maine's only managed services and cloud hosting provider with a
SOC 2 Type II audit covering Security, Availability and Confidentiality

This email may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please delete
it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.