cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Engelmann Florian <florian.engelm...@everyware.ch>
Subject Re: KVM + CLVM and Snapshots
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2017 15:28:07 GMT
Hi,

thank you both for your feedback! So we will drop CLVM from our test matrix.

A ScaleIO driver would be the perfect solution but I guess that won't happen... to time consuming
:(

Ceph looks promising right now - less performance as ScaleIO but well supported and integrated
in ACS.

All the best,
Florian

From: Simon Weller <sweller@ena.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:17 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: KVM + CLVM and Snapshots

Florian,

It does work, but can be challenging when it comes to stability. We still have 2 zones build
with CLVM and we're activity migrating away from it. The major problem is that it complicates
host configurations and you really need a quorum disk in order to fence correctly. It's very
sensitive to load on the hosts and that can cause unexpected fencing activity and hence an
unstable cluster.

Are you able to export scalio storage via NFS? Your other option is to build a storage driver
in CloudStack that can control the storage access via APIs, rather than rely on an CLVM overlay.
If you are a paying customer of EMCs, you should reach out to them and see if they would consider
writing a storage plugin for you.

Your other option is to work with one of the professional services organizations associated
with ACS to write the driver for you (Cloudops, Shapeblue et al).

- Si