cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack and KVM installation with IP addresses allocated by DHCP
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2017 23:41:28 GMT
Hi Adeel,

With KVM you can still take volume snapshots (of single volumes) – but you can’t take
full VM snapshots (as you mention these are available only on XenServer and VMware) – please
note the functionality of these are different (see http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/4.9/virtual_machines.html#virtual-machine-snapshots
 and http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/4.9/storage.html?highlight=volume%20snapshot#working-with-volume-snapshots
). With volume snapshots you can still create a template from your completed instance root
volume, so you should be good here (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/4.9/templates.html).

With regards to your second hypervisor your choice depends on a few factors. In short –
XenServer is easy to set up and open source, so low cost, VMware requires a few more steps
(including vCenter) and comes in at a higher cost due to licensing. Functionality wise you
can do most things with XenServer – Vmware does have a few more bells and whistles though.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue