cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Muhammad Adeel Zahid <16030...@lums.edu.pk>
Subject Re: Cloudstack and KVM installation with IP addresses allocated by DHCP
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:39:22 GMT
Hi Dag,

DHCP and its settings are beyond my control. I will have to go through some procedures (aka
red tape) to get the exclusions static IPs bound to ACS and KVM. For now,  what I am thinking
to do is, connect to network and get an IP 10.103.72.65 and declare it as static in network
settings of my computer (say ACS management server) and rely on the fact that IP wouldn't
change as long as I don't reconnect.

Once the testing is done, we can go through the approval procedures for MAC binding and IP
addresses exclusion from DHCP.

Would it work as I think?

Regards

Adeel

________________________________
From: Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:31:12 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cloudstack and KVM installation with IP addresses allocated by DHCP

Hi Muhammed,

This is done externally to CloudStack and depends on what DHCP infrastructure you have in
place. All DHCP implementations have the option to reserve an address, i.e. a setting that
confirms your MAC address – e.g. 01:02:03:AA:BB:CC is always handed out the same IP address
– in your case e.g. 10.103.72.65/23. Once you have set this on your DHCP server(s) you can
safely set the IP address statically on your servers if you don’t want to rely on DHCP –
this means you will never have an IP conflict between a statically configured IP address and
your DHCP scope.

Please note though – you will most likely need more IP addresses for CloudStack than the
1 (2?) you already have – CloudStack needs more IP addresses for it’s system range. As
a result you are much better off using a subnet without DHCP – or configure an exclusion
in your DHCP scope, e.g. something 10.103.72.1-10.103.72.99, such that you can safely use
this excluded range for CloudStack.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect