cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack and KVM installation with IP addresses allocated by DHCP
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:31:12 GMT
Hi Muhammed,

This is done externally to CloudStack and depends on what DHCP infrastructure you have in
place. All DHCP implementations have the option to reserve an address, i.e. a setting that
confirms your MAC address – e.g. 01:02:03:AA:BB:CC is always handed out the same IP address
– in your case e.g. 10.103.72.65/23. Once you have set this on your DHCP server(s) you can
safely set the IP address statically on your servers if you don’t want to rely on DHCP –
this means you will never have an IP conflict between a statically configured IP address and
your DHCP scope.

Please note though – you will most likely need more IP addresses for CloudStack than the
1 (2?) you already have – CloudStack needs more IP addresses for it’s system range. As
a result you are much better off using a subnet without DHCP – or configure an exclusion
in your DHCP scope, e.g. something 10.103.72.1-10.103.72.99, such that you can safely use
this excluded range for CloudStack.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect