cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jeromy Grimmett <jer...@cloudbrix.com>
Subject RE: Network implementation question
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2017 17:41:12 GMT
Ben,

Do you have the ability to tell the provider at the DC to make the 1 port connected to the
1 NIC in the host a "trunk" port?

If you are able to do get a couple of VLANs on that port, you can then create subinterfaces
on the single NIC on each host and move the traffic across the VLANs as needed.

Let me know the answer to that question, and maybe I can come up with another idea for you
if that won't work.

Jeromy Grimmett
P: 603.766.3625
jeromy@cloudbrix.com
www.cloudbrix.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Kincaid [mailto:stillreal86@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:23 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Network implementation question

Hi List,

I am currently in the process of evaluating several KVM management packages in order to replace
some old Vsphere.

I have been running up test labs with the following:

* Cloudstack obviously
* oVirt
* OpenNebula
* Proxmox
* Ganeti

While I am more than happy to script up a few CLI tools and interact with Libvirt directly,
that isn’t going to work for most end users of this infrastructure.

I am running in to a bit of a challenge around the networking aspect of what I am trying to
create here, since most of these management tools assume you are building an all-in-one box
deployment, or you manage your own network infrastructure in your datacenter.

We have 6 soon to be 8 boxes in a remote DC, and we don’t have any flexibility around the
networking.

Each box has one NIC, with a public IP, and we have a couple of /27 address ranges to use.
 We need to specify which port on the switch that /27 will be going to.

So what I would like to do is build a private address network across all 8 boxes, either using
something like PeerVPN / Tinc or the new VPN features built in to Vswitch, I would then put
that on vmbr1 for example.

Vmbr0 would be the public internet port on each box, and on one box I would run up an instance
of PFSense or similar in a VM which I would route the /27’s to and then forward them to
IPs on the internal IP pool.

Does Cloudstack have the ability to manage a network structure such as this, and if so how
might I go about it? I must admit after reading the docs and launching a test lab I couldn’t
work out how to build such a structure.

As a side note, I had extreme difficulties getting the packages to build on Ubuntu 16.04 and
ended up using the pre-built packages on Ubuntu 14.04 instead, just to get a test environment
set up, I see there is already a ticket open against this issue though.

Thanks for such a great peace of software, and I appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone
can offer on this issue.