cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rafael Weingärtner <rafaelweingart...@gmail.com>
Subject CloudStack Advanced networking doubt
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 16:16:22 GMT
Hi folks,
I was checking some information regarding ACS advanced networking
deployment mode, and I ran into this figure [1]. This made me wonder, what
would happen with the following scenario.

Let`s say I have a similar scenario as the one depicted in figure [1], a
set of pods with a set of clusters that have a set of hosts. Each host in a
pod is linked directly using a Layer-2 switch. Let’s assume there exist
network/aggregation layers that are configured properly and provide access
to VMs in the cloud using the public IP net. Let’s also assume that the
public IP net is 1.1.1.0/24; the management and storage networks are on
isolated networks and are properly set up (Assume also that we are using
the advanced networking mode).

Now, I create a guest network 2.2.2.0/24. When I deploy a user VM, ACS will
deploy a VR (let’s call x) with an IP (1.1.1.1) in the public net, and
other on the guest network (2.2.2.1). Then, this VR(x) will execute the
firewalling/forwarding for my newly created user VM.

Let’s now imagine that I keep deploying user VMs to a point in which the
POD gets full. The next VM I create ACS will have to deploy in other PODs
of the environment. Because this new user VM will be in a different POD,
the communication with other user VMs is not straightforward anymore (not a
matter of using the same VLAN and net). What will ACS do to link users VMs
that are on the same virtual network, but deployed in different PODs?

Will it deploy other VR(y) with an IP (let's say 1.1.1.2) on the new POD
and create a route between VR(x) and VR(y) using the public network, so
that the communication for VMs in network 2.2.2.0/24 is transparent?

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/4.8/_images/network-setup-zone.png

--
Rafael Weingärtner