cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Simon Weller <swel...@ena.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Advanced networking doubt
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 18:45:19 GMT
Rafael,

ACS expects the same layer 2 broadcast domain across all pods in a zone. So your switches
have to trunk all vlans. This can get really nasty for larger typologies (due to vlan limits
and spanning tree), hence why technologies like vxlan, stt and gre were invented.

- Si

________________________________
From: Rafael Weingärtner <rafaelweingartner@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 12:41 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: CloudStack Advanced networking doubt

Great, thanks for the explanation Dag.
So, for two VMs that are on the same virtual network, but different PODs
(consequently in a different layer -2 domain switch) how does ACS handle in
this situation?

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> wonder,
>     > what
>     >     would happen with the following scenario.
>     >
>     >     Let`s say I have a similar scenario as the one depicted in
> figure [1],
>     > a
>     >     set of pods with a set of clusters that have a set of hosts.
> Each host
>     > in a
>     >     pod is linked directly using a Layer-2 switch. Let’s assume
> there exist
>     >     network/aggregation layers that are configured properly and
> provide
>     > access
>     >     to VMs in the cloud using the public IP net. Let’s also assume
> that the
>     >     public IP net is 1.1.1.0/24; the management and storage
> networks are
>     > on
>     >     isolated networks and are properly set up (Assume also that we
> are
>     > using
>     >     the advanced networking mode).
>     >
>     >     Now, I create a guest network 2.2.2.0/24. When I deploy a user
> VM,
>     > ACS will
>     >     deploy a VR (let’s call x) with an IP (1.1.1.1) in the public
> net, and
>     >     other on the guest network (2.2.2.1). Then, this VR(x) will
> execute the
>     >     firewalling/forwarding for my newly created user VM.
>     >
>     >     Let’s now imagine that I keep deploying user VMs to a point in
> which
>     > the
>     >     POD gets full. The next VM I create ACS will have to deploy in
> other
>     > PODs
>     >     of the environment. Because this new user VM will be in a
> different
>     > POD,
>     >     the communication with other user VMs is not straightforward
> anymore
>     > (not a
>     >     matter of using the same VLAN and net). What will ACS do to link
> users
>     > VMs
>     >     that are on the same virtual network, but deployed in different
> PODs?
>     >
>     >     Will it deploy other VR(y) with an IP (let's say 1.1.1.2) on the
> new
>     > POD
>     >     and create a route between VR(x) and VR(y) using the public
> network, so
>     >     that the communication for VMs in network 2.2.2.0/24 is
> transparent?
>     >
>     >     http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-
>     > administration/en/4.8/_images/network-setup-zone.png
ShapeBlue - The CloudStack Company<http://www.shapeblue.com/>
www.shapeblue.com
Introduction Upgrading CloudStack can sometimes be a little daunting - but as the 5P's proverb
goes - Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

--
Rafael Weingärtner