cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: How would you like your Cloudstack templates?
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:17:44 GMT

> Op 25 februari 2017 om 12:40 schreef Nux! <nux@li.nux.ro>:
>

> Hello,
>
> Since templates are being discussed, I wanted to chip in and let you know I am about
to revamp the templates at OpenVM.eu which I have neglected a bit.
> The roadmap is short and should look something like this:
>
> - we build everything from scratch (as opposed to trying to reuse and modify upstream
images - I'm doing this for ubu/deb now) - except coreos which is weird and provide compatible
images anyway

> - all the kickstarts and preseeds will be on github, everyone is welcome to chip in with
improvements or build their own

> - separate per hypervisor type template builds, xenserver builds will ship xs-tools,
vmware builds will ship openvm-tools, kvm will ship qemu-ga, hyperv will include their tools

> The hw is sponsored, I am not paying for it. I'm happy to allow responsible PMC members
access to it.

> Also happy to host systemvm templates at OpenVM as a "neutral third party".
>

> Now a few questions to which I'd really like some feedback.
>
> 1. Cloud-init is rather stubborn in using a default unprivileged user instead of root.
> Should I use per distro users - ubuntu for ubuntu, centos for centos, freebsd for freebsd
- or should I use something like "cloud" or "admin" for all of them?

> 2. I currently disable IPv6 in the templates I build from scratch as it is a pain point
with Cloudstack at the moment - alas. Should I just leave the defaults on (ie enabled)?

I say keep IPv6 enabled on the defaults of Linux. As Basic Networking will have IPv6 support
starting with 4.10 :-)

Wido