cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH <s.brues...@proio.com>
Subject AW: Template management
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:09:53 GMT
Hi Dag,

how can I provide connection to an internal repo for all networks in my CS installation by
default?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Dag Sonstebo [mailto:Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2017 14:41
An: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Template management

Hi Swen,

If you wanted to do this on boot with cloud-init or a similar mechanism you would actually
engineer the solution such that an internet connection wasn’t required. If you have every
VM updating over the internet you end up paying for a lot of unnecessary bandwidth. You would
instead make sure you have internal cloned patch repositories which you synchronize hourly/daily
 - which means all user VMs only pull patches on the internal network. You could even “eat
your own dogfood/drink your own champagne” and host this on one of the accounts in the same
CloudStack infrastructure – then simply set up connection on the public network. That way
the update traffic isn’t ever leaving your switches per se.

Not sure how AWS etc. do this, but they have deep pockets…

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue