cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Template management
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:20:21 GMT
Hi Swen,

You are correct – templates are not housekept on primary storage until all VMs utilizing
them have been deleted (have a look at this blog post if you want to know a bit more about
XenServer disk chains - http://www.shapeblue.com/recovery-of-vms-to-new-cloudstack-instance/
).

In short the problem you describe is something that hits most people who want to do monthly
template updates, and as you hint at it can really only be managed with sufficiently sized
storage pools, and if possible – by using things like thin provisioning and deduplication,
etc.

Other solutions would rely on you either running a managed infrastructure where you provide
an automated patching mechanism with e.g. Ansible /  Puppet / Chef / etc. – but this would
in most cases mean you have to plan patching with all your customers – something I doubt
you want to do.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect