cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Simon Weller <swel...@ena.com>
Subject Re: KVM Live VM Snapshots
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:01:02 GMT
There is a pending PR awaiting merge that added VM snapshots to ACS for KVM.

In regards to why it hasn't been merged, that's a good question. Why don't you comment on
the PR and ask that question. Community involvement is the best way to get features moving
forward.

I do agree though with Macro that snapshots are not really designed for BCDR purposes.

- Si

________________________________
From: Marc-Aurèle Brothier <marco@exoscale.ch>
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 2:31 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: KVM Live VM Snapshots

Hi Asai,

In my opinion, doing a VM snapshot is making a step in the wrong direction.
Your applications/system running inside your VMs should be designed to
handle an OS crash. Then a new VM, freshly installed, should be able to get
back into your application setup so that you have again an appropriate
number of healthy nodes.

Marco

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 4:34 AM, Asai <asai@globalchangemusic.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Is it correct that currently there is no support in Cloudstack for KVM
> live VM snapshots? I see that Volume snapshots are available for running
> VMs, but that makes me wonder what everyone is doing to get a disaster
> recovery backup of a KVM based VM?  I did ask this question a few weeks
> back, but only one person responded with one solution, and I am really
> trying to figure out what the best solutions are here.
>
> Has anybody seen this script? https://gist.github.com/ringe/
[https://assets-cdn.github.com/images/modules/open_graph/github-logo.png]<https://gist.github.com/ringe/>

ringe's gists · GitHub<https://gist.github.com/ringe/>
gist.github.com
Maximum users of an application, limit license usage on Windows Terminal Server View maximum_users.ps1.
# name of procsess we are tracking $ limited_process ...