cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Linas Žilinskas <li...@host1plus.com>
Subject Re: vm use more cpu than restricted [kvm]
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2016 11:03:59 GMT
cpu cap has no effect on kvm afaik.

the VM will always be allowed to get the max speed, but the cpu shares
are calculated based on the set speed, so a vm with a speed of 500mhz
will have less cpu shares than a vm with 1000mhz. This means that if
noone is using the cpu enough, everyone is allowed to use it to the max.
But if multiple vm's have high cpu usage, the one with speed of 1000mhz
will have the higher priority.

On 2016-11-30 21:29, Stefan Beigel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'am using cloudstack with a small scale deployment and the following
> configuration:
>
> cloudstack version: 4.8
>
> hosts:
>   - cpu: 2x 2400 mhz
>   - memory: 4GB
>   - os: ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
>
> vm:
>   - cpu: 1x 500 mhz
>   - memory: 500 mb
>   - os: ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
>
> I tried some tests and when I utilize the vm to 100% the host gets utilize
> to 50%.
> So one vm with 500 mhz gets 2400 mhz from the hosts.
> Is this normal or a bug?
> I enabled the "cpu cap" option for the used service offering.
>
> Hope someone can Help.
> Greets Stefan

Linas Žilinskas
Head of Development
website <http://www.host1plus.com/> facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Host1Plus> twitter
<https://twitter.com/Host1Plus> linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/digital-energy-technologies-ltd.>

Host1Plus is a division of Digital Energy Technologies Ltd.

26 York Street, London W1U 6PZ, United Kingdom