cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Zone edit - Physical network update
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:31:08 GMT
Hi Grégoire,

Obviously hoping to work with you, but if you were a support customer we would advise against
this approach – moving all CloudStack traffic to a new physical network is very much untested
territory and we couldn’t guarantee success. We would probably advise you to consider a
phased swing migration – where you potentially free up some of your existing hypervisors,
rebuild these with the correct networking and then add them as a new cluster in CloudStack
– before trying migrate your workload. As you then free up more resources on the original
cluster you can evacuate more hosts, rebuild them and add to the new cluster, until you have
all your hosts in the new cluster.

With regards to you “cs-mgmt” traffic question  – keep in mind there is nothing stopping
you just keeping this where it is on eth0. You don’t need to use labels for *primary storage*
 – this simply requires connectivity and CloudStack doesn’t care how this works. The CloudStack
storage network labelling is purely for secondary storage. So if you add the new cards as
effectively IP based HBAs with an additional storage IP address and present new primary storage
pools purely over this interface you can simply add new NFS shares as new primary storage
pools. This means the XenServers will speak to old primary storage on the existing interfaces
(cs-mgmt?) and to the new primary storage over the new interfaces (call this e.g. cs-primarystorage
if you want). This would potentially allow you to storage migrate from old to new primary
storage *without changing any existing CloudStack labelling*.

If you require more advanced traffic configuration changes than this the phased migration
mentioned above would be your best bet.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect