cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH <s.brues...@proio.com>
Subject AW: API migrateVirtualMachine does not respect affinity group assignment
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2016 09:20:23 GMT
We run into this "problem" too. Here are my 2 cents:

API call should respect affinity groups, but it should be able for administrator to force
a migration (force=true).
As an administrator you cannot control (or have in mind) all affinity groups when you need
to evacuate a host. At the moment you run into the situation that you migrate a vm to an host
where another vm of the same affinity group is running. When you stop this vm you are unable
to start it because then the affinity group kicks in.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Marc-Aurèle Brothier [mailto:marco@exoscale.ch]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. November 2016 08:41
An: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Betreff: Re: API migrateVirtualMachine does not respect affinity group assignment

IMHO it's something desirable, because in case of emergency, it's better to migrate a VM to
a host that does not follow the anti affinity group, rather than leaving the VM on a host
that must be shutdown for example and loosing the VM. It's up to the admin to make this transgression
during the shortest amount of time.
Those migration API calls are always done by an admin, and therefore should take care of such
case, which is not very complicated. I have a python script that does the job (
https://gist.github.com/marcaurele/dc1774b1ea13d81be702faf235bf2afe) for live migration for
example.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Simon Weller <sweller@ena.com> wrote:

> Can you open a jira issue on this?
>
> Simon Weller/ENA
> (615) 312-6068

- proIO GmbH -
Geschäftsführer: Swen Brüseke
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main

USt-IdNr. DE 267 075 918
Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main - HRB 86239

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben,
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify

the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly
forbidden.