cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Disable open inactive plugins: Contrail plugin
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2016 05:45:09 GMT
Will, you make a fair point and we should not be removing plugins just because they fail to
build but that's NOT what I've said.

Let me break down my arguments:

- The only obligation project has is towards any CloudStack users who may be using these plugins,
but given the state of the plugin it's highly unlikely that they are in production use. The
purpose of this thread is to investigate and ask if there are any such users, so far I'm not
hearing anything from any of those users.

- If the vendors who had initially contributed the plugins are not maintaining them or are
not responsive, the project should not be obligated towards maintaining a broken component
that does not even build, and project should in that case work towards a plan to deprecate
such plugins over time.

- The first thing I'm proposing here is to comment those plugins in 'plugins/pom.xml' to exclude
them in the default build process. The next steps could be to discuss deprecating and removing
them from the codebase over time, this is open for discussion and should be discussed separately.

- The specific plugin (contrail) also fails to build against JDK8 that adds a roadblock to
our plan to migrate to JDK8 in future.

- Background: I checked with few people including original authors/contributors, the story
I'm told is that several of the network plugins were created as a proof-of-concept or go-to-market
tools, and did not take off or got attention from their vendors as they failed to achieve
specific business goals. Given CloudStack has been user-driven (than vendor-driven) it is
fair to conclude that several of the plugins are not maintained most-likely because nobody
is using them.

Regards.