cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From ilya <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Max Number of Hypervisors
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2016 21:08:39 GMT
There is no cloudstack zone limit i'm aware off.

The zone itself has no limit.

Your limits will be defined by back-end storage and network topology.

If you offer Physical VLANs segregation, then you have to be mindful of
Spanning Tree issues, in that case in my experience, you may want to
limit a zone to 200 nodes and less than 300 VLANs.

If you are running SDN, then this limit no longer applies and you can
span with ease beyond 200 nodes per zone.

As for CloudStack ability to manage many nodes, there are known
implementations with close to 1000 hypervisors on 2 pair cloudstack
setup - and its not the final limit.

With that said, you will have to tweak DB, Java and CloudStack, as
default configs - wont scale.

Perhaps explain what you are trying to accomplish and how your
environment is laid out?

On 10/26/16 12:22 AM, Dag Sonstebo wrote:
> Hi Tyler,
>
> Ultimately the number of hypervisors a management server can manage depends on the workload
it handles – i.e. number of users, number of VMs, how complex configurations your users
use etc. As a rule of thumb you should always have two management servers for redundancy –
but we do see customers run hundreds of hypervisors with this setup. On top of this keep in
mind the management server is stateless – in other words it is easy to just build additional
servers once your load increases – given that your load balancer configuration is healthy.

> The same redundancy point goes for your backed MySQL services – you should always run
at least a slave + master setup.