cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Eliminating Support for Ubuntu 12.04
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2016 09:38:01 GMT
Historically, CloudStack's debian/deb packages/repositories have never been supported by the
initial authors. For example, initial ACS version and all CCP releases never shipped deb packages,
nor in our (old and recent) documentation we promote installation/running CloudStack on Debian/Ubuntu.
Afaik, it was Wido who introduced it because he wanted to run CloudStack on Ubuntu/Debian-based
distro. Also, the packages are something that the project never shipped or endorsed or supported,
so it's up to the maintainers of various repositories how they are building and hosting CloudStack
packages. Even if we remove the packaging support in our branch/repository, anyone can build
CloudStack for any distro, several people/projects have packaging related buildsystem/code
separated from the project codebase. Most tutorials that I found are based around Ubuntu 14.04
or CentOS, given that 12.04 is 4+ years old, we might not even have anyone using CloudStack
on it.

That said -- I think 4.9 should at least not drop the support yet, just to let any Ubuntu
12.04 user who may be using it in the wild. If we look at the PR, the way we're dropping the
support is by simply bumping up few package dependency versions. The issue of supporting or
dropping support for Ubuntu 12.04 lies in those version changes only.

The more important thing right now is to support at least Ubuntu 16.04 hosts as KVM guests
and usage-server hosts, which is much needed in both 4.9 and master branch for the upcoming
4.9.1.0 and 4.10.0.0 releases.

Wido -- would it be acceptable to avoid bumping up the min. package dependency version, i.e
we don't change the pkg dependencies for cloudstack-agent and keep the version number as it
is for lsb-base, qemu-kvm, libvirt-bin for 4.9 branch. While on 4.10, we can discuss if we
want to drop the support now or plan this later.

Regards.