cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Meet BlueOrangutan
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2016 09:14:02 GMT
All,

Meet blueorangutan [1], a Github bot account that will help us automate CloudStack (PR) testing
[2][3] among other things.

It works by polling Github notifications for the apache/cloudstack repository every minutes
and then reacts to comments. We can post comments on a apache/cloudstack PR and ask @blueorangutan
to perform certain build jobs such as building packages, then running Trillian [2] tests (across
a set of hypervisors) using those packages, and finally report us the results.

Since, the task of building packages and testing them are expensive. A typical packaging job
may take up to 30 minutes, a typical Trillian [2][3] environment can take about 30 minutes
to build/deploy a zone, and a Trillian (smoke) test run may take hours while an exhaustive
Trillian (component+smoke) test run may take 3-4 days. Due to these reasons, for now the '@blueorangutan
test' task is restricted to a selected Github users (my colleagues at ShapeBlue). Running
Trillian test for each PR may be expensive, we may consider batching smaller thoroughly reviewed
PRs, then create packages for a set of PRs and test them all at once as well.

The task to build (centos6, centos7, debian) packages is relatively less expensive and anyone
can request blueorangutan to build packages now by commenting '@blueorangutan package' on
a PR.

The great blue ape aims to be a quite friendly and polite bot, go on any apache/cloudstack
PR and try:

'@blueorangutan hello'

Or, build package for a PR:

'@blueorangutan package'

Or, if it helps you build packages you may say:

'@blueorangutan thanks'

This is an experiment and I hope to improve this over time, any feedback and comments are
welcome.

[1] https://github.com/blueorangutan

[2] http://www.shapeblue.com/trillian-flexible-on-demand-individual-cloud-environment-creation/

[3] http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-test-automation-with-trillian-and-jenkins/