cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From ilya <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Opportunity to contribute in Apache CloudStack
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2016 03:05:44 GMT
Hi Janesh

Use case:
	Manage different cloudstacks from single end point

Requirements:
	When cloudstack is used in large scale, there many different types of
environments that would need to be supported - but on the high level,
there might be:
	Development CloudStack Environments - that adhere to specific level of
configuration and content
	Production CloudStack Environments - that adhere to specific level of
configuration and content

The way one might design something likes this:
1) an interface to register all cloudstack environments
2) ability to tag each environment (dev, test or prod)
3) apple specific configuration templates for tag above
4) as configuration change is made - cloudstack manager would reach out
to each applicable cloudstack environment and apply the change (if
necessary)
	example:
		dev environments, i may need to have specific service offerings with
specific templates and configurations
		test environment, i would stage pre-prod settings or something that i
would eventually promote to production
		prod environment, will only have set of approved settings, templates,
offerings, users etc...

CloudStack manager would need to support user with different level of
access.
	1) admin - can do everything
	2) user - can do specific things
	3) read only user - can see things but not change

Besides managing the settings, the health of cloudstack zones (and
hosts) and its capacity would be displayed as well.
	For example, you might have 20 zones in 1 cloudstack environments, zone
can be 90% used in terms of resources, contain about 1000 hypervisors
and have 30 hypervisors in bad state.

All of this is doable via cloudstack APIs at the moment on each
cloudstack management server, however, there is nothing that connects
and lets you manage different kind of environments that can be grouped
by tag (i.e. dev, test and prod).

Please let me know if this is clear or you need more details,

Regards
ilya