cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Somesh Naidu <Somesh.Na...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Question about migrating local storage datadisks
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 20:14:47 GMT
First off, for datadisks, you may not explicitly need to move them around. If you detach it
from the existing VM and attach it to another VM (essentially the host running that VM) that
does not have access to the storage where the datadisk currently resides, then cloudstack
will copy the datadisk to a storage accessible to that host.

> I’m confused why we can’t snapshot a datadisk, which, if I understand
> correctly, should then get copied to secondary storage, and then bring it
> up on another host. I hope I’m just missing something obvious.

You can snapshot a datadisk and the snapshot will reside on the secondary store, that bit
is straight/correct.

I do not understand what you mean when you say "bring it up on another host".
The part that is not clear is what does "bring it up" mean? Also, what you mean by "host",
hypervisor or storage? Do you mean the datadisks are bootable and you want to start them on
a different host? If so, know that you can't launch a VM directly off of a snapshot, you’d
have to convert it to a template and then launch a VM from it. The VM could be launched on
any host - if this is the use-case/scenario you had in mind then yes, you will achieve what
you need this way.

Regards,
Somesh

We use local storage for everything, including datadisks. We need to
migrate these to another host, which docs all seem to say isn’t supported.