cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Yiping Zhang <yzh...@marketo.com>
Subject Can't stop mgmt server cleanly for CS 4.8.0
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 19:41:48 GMT
Hi, all:

We have a cron job to restart mgmt. service once a week. However, after we upgraded to CS
4.8.0, the cron job would leave the service stopped and Nagios starts to page oncall.  We
traced the problem to that the mgmt. service won’t stop cleanly, even when we try to stop
it manually from CLI:

# service cloudstack-management stop
Stopping cloudstack-management:                            [FAILED]
# service cloudstack-management status
cloudstack-management dead but pid file exists
The pid file locates at /var/run/cloudstack-management.pid and lock file at /var/lock/subsys/cloudstack-management.
        Starting cloudstack-management will take care of them or you can manually clean up.
#

The catalina.out log file has following exception:

INFO  [o.a.c.s.l.CloudStackExtendedLifeCycle] (Thread-95:null) stopping bean ClusterManagerImpl
INFO  [c.c.c.ClusterManagerImpl] (Thread-95:null) Stopping Cluster manager, msid : 60274787591663
ERROR [c.c.c.ClusterServiceServletContainer] (Thread-11:null) Unexpected exception
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
         at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.accept(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:398)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:530)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:498)
         at com.cloud.cluster.ClusterServiceServletContainer$ListenerThread.run(ClusterServiceServletContainer.java:131)
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.cloud.cluster.ClusterServiceServletContainer).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
Exception in thread "Timer-2" java.lang.NullPointerException
         at org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerAdapter.info(Log4jLoggerAdapter.java:304)
         at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable.getContext(ManagedContextRunnable.java:66)
         at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:46)
         at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextTimerTask.run(ManagedContextTimerTask.java:27)
Exception in thread "Timer-1" java.lang.NullPointerException
         at org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerAdapter.info(Log4jLoggerAdapter.java:304)
         at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable.getContext(ManagedContextRunnable.java:66)
         at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:46)
         at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextTimerTask.run(ManagedContextTimerTask.java:27)

The SocketException does not show up in every CS instances, but those NullPointerException
for thread Timer-1/2 are present for all CS instances.

As a work around, we have to stop the service again, to clean up leftover pid and lock files,
 before starting the service again.

Has anyone else seen this problem ?

Thanks,

Yiping