cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Michael J McCafferty <m...@m5hosting.com>
Subject Re: Best NIC for XenServer?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 08:47:00 GMT
Stephan,
	Thanks for your reply.
	Yes, we run the storage network over the same bond. We are not using
the X540-AT2, we are using the X520-DA2. We are using SFP+, not RJ-45.
I'd rather use TwinAx cables or SFP+, as our switches are not RJ-45. So,
I'd prefer not to upgrade to those either. Is this was you are using? Am
I misunderstanding your statement?

	The problems with the NICs are usually before any load it put on the
host... we never put load on the host because the the NIC is messed up
in some way. They seem to perform fine too. In an VM I can move 10.5Gbps
from a single VM to primary storage with a couple of simultaneous dd.
	I just checked some historical metrics on the hosts that have had
recent issues with the NICs, and there are no event s where there was
high CPU or memory utilization in Dom0. I'll have to ask another person
on my team about OVS vs. Kernel.

Thanks!
Mike

On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 10:11 +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> XS 6.5 is built around CentOS 5 with a custom 3.10 Kernel. Using bonded
> X540-AT2 NIC, I can't see any problems.
> Depending on your network setup, your bond might be created and managed
> by OVS instead of Kernel.
> Just a guess, but OVS runs in userspace and could be affected by Dom0
> RAM shortage or heavy load.
> Do you run your storage network over the same bond?
>
> On Mo, 2016-06-13 at 16:08 -0700, Michael J McCafferty wrote:
> > Fellow CloudStackers,
> >
> > 	We are currently using Intel X520-DA2 NICs in our hosts. The
> > hosts use
> > XenServer. We have upgraded XenServer and applied periodic patches
> > and
> > updates to XenServer... in general done the usual maintenance. It
> > seems
> > that there are more issues with the NICs than expected. During
> > maintenance or after reboots, very irregularly, they may disappear,
> > lose
> > the bond, being detected but not be configured in Xen.
> > 	The HCL for XenServer 6.5 now lists the chip that is on the
> > NIC, but
> > not the NIC model it self. This leaves me to wonder WTF.
> >
> > 	I have to ask, is there a known "best" NIC(s) to use with
> > XenServer
> > going forward? Do the Intel X520-DA2 model known to be finicky with
> > XenServer?
> > 	What is your experience?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Mike

Michael J. McCafferty
CEO
M5 Hosting
http://www.m5hosting.com

Like us on Facebook for updates and photos:
https://www.facebook.com/m5hosting