cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: problem with vm volume resize
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2016 08:27:48 GMT
Chris - out of interest - has this VM been through a storage vMotion? We have come across an
issue recently where a similar thing happened, the wrong disk was resized and our investigation
so far shows this to potentially be caused by disks having been renamed during svMotion.

Dag Sonstebo

On 20/04/2016, 07:04, "Pavan Bandarupally" <pavan.bandarupally@accelerite.com> wrote:

>I think Root disk resize is supported only on KVM as per the FS https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Root+Resize+Support

this via the api directly, or via cloudmonkey to eliminate the ui?

>> - Si
>>
>> Simon Weller/ENA
>> (615) 312-6068

I've resized volumes in the past using the web UI, but have run into an issue where my resize
attempt on an existing win2k8 data volume failed. It is a resize from 50Gb to 100Gb, and I
have enough storage to do the resize.

>> When I attempt the resize, the UI returns 'unable to resize volume', and I find the
following error in the management server log:

>> 2016-04-19 22:52:45,468 ERROR [vmware.resource.VmwareResource] (DirectAgent-88:wyo1-p1-c1-hv5.dsscorp.com,
job-641, cmd: ResizeVolumeCommand) Unable to resize volume
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid operation for device '0'.
>>         at com.cloud.hypervisor.vmware.util.VmwareClient.waitForTask(VmwareClient.java:413)
>>         at com.cloud.hypervisor.vmware.mo.VirtualMachineMO.configureVm(VirtualMachineMO.java:862)
>>         at com.cloud.hypervisor.vmware.resource.VmwareResource.execute(VmwareResource.java:691)
>>         at com.cloud.hypervisor.vmware.resource.VmwareResource.executeRequest(VmwareResource.java:572)
>>         at com.cloud.agent.manager.DirectAgentAttache$Task.run(DirectAgentAttache.java:186)
>>         at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown
Source)
>>         at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown
Source)
>>         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>>
>> The vm in question has been in the cloud enviornment/production for 2+ years. It
has a root volume, and 3 data volumes. I'm trying to resize the first data volume.

>> I've seen some mention of issues like this with resizing volumes that were created
from snapshots, but that doesn't apply here.

>> Any thoughts on why my resize attempt is failing?
>>
>> Chris Chupela
>> Systems Engineer
>> DSS
>> 610.927.2031 Office
>> 610.334.2392 Cell
>>
>> Website<http://www.dsscorp.com/> | Data Center<http://www.dssdatacenter.com/>
| Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/DSSDataCenter> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/distributedsystemsservicesinc#!/DistributedSystemsServices>
>>

>DISCLAIMER
>This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property
of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual

Regards,

DagĀ Sonstebo

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com