cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Frank Louwers <fr...@openminds.be>
Subject Re: CloudStack Logging
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2016 07:14:11 GMT
Hi Paul,

I’d love to see improvement in that area! Especially for my operational admins, the biggest
issue we face is this:

- Someone wants to deploy a new VM, and it fails.

- Currently, it’s very hard to figure out exactly why. The best they get is “Capacity
Planner failure”.

- They come to me :)

I think these failures are quite an easy use-case to improve logging on. If a VM can’t be
started because of a “capacity” issue, it would we good to log (in a non-debug, non-info
log):

- Which hosts were considered for CPU/Mem (based on zone, tags etc) (list them by name pref,
not by “host 24” which means nothing to them as that number isn’t anywhere in the CS
UI)

- Which of those considered hosts have the capacity needed (and for those that are excluded,
weather they are excluded for RAM or CPU reasons)

- Exact same for Storage Pools

This would solve over 95% of my “Frank, I can’t find out why this VM won’t deploy”
logging issues.

Regards,

Frank

> On 20 Apr 2016, at 22:05, Paul Angus <paul.angus@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't think that it's a question of importance. INFO vs DEBUG should be telling you
different things. ERROR and WARN are also quite different.
> In general I'm targeting the cloud operational admins, the people who need to know the
health of their cloud and deal with issues as they're constantly reading the log.

> However, I'm not proposing to add or remove any messages, just revisit the categorisation.
If the 'operator' has their logging on debug they'd actually see the same messages. The idea
is to make turning the logging down to INFO feasible.

> You'd turn the logging back up to pick up code issues rather than just operational issues.
>
> Some VERY simplified definitions might be:
>
> DEBUG:  inner workings of CloudStack that only a developer can 'understand'
> INFO:  actions that CloudStack is performing or information analysis (host 5 is full
so not going to use it).
> WARN: this isn't good
> ERROR: something just didn't work.
>

> Grabbing a couple of examples
>
> these should be debug - I can't 'do' anything with this information.
>
> INFO  [o.a.c.f.j.i.AsyncJobManagerImpl] (AsyncJobMgr-Heartbeat-1:ctx-4119d5bc) Begin
cleanup expired async-jobs
> INFO  [o.a.c.f.j.i.AsyncJobManagerImpl] (AsyncJobMgr-Heartbeat-1:ctx-4119d5bc) End cleanup
expired async-jobs
> INFO  [c.c.h.v.r.VmwareResource] (DirectAgentCronJob-2:ctx-3209f65c) Scan hung worker
VM to recycle
> INFO  [c.c.h.v.r.VmwareResource] (DirectAgentCronJob-113:ctx-56d9f9f2) Scan hung worker
VM to recycle

> Whereas this should be WARN. I wouldn't want to lose this by switching off DEBUG
>
> DEBUG [c.c.c.ClusterManagerImpl] (Cluster-Heartbeat-1:ctx-91226be7) Detected management
node left, id:2, nodeIP:10.2.0.6
> DEBUG [c.c.c.ClusterManagerImpl] (Cluster-Heartbeat-1:ctx-0bccd078) Detected management
node left, id:2, nodeIP:10.2.0.6

> Kind regards,
>
> Paul Angus
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul Angus
>
> paul.angus@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> @shapeblue

record importance. Who is the user that you will design the logging process for. Is it for
finding issues with the installation or is it for security breaches or auditing.
> These questions are good to put in mind when designing the logging process.

Paul Angus <paul.angus@shapeblue.com> </div><div>Date: 20/04/2016  1:01
PM  (GMT+04:00) </div><div>To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org, users@cloudstack.apache.org
Hi Simon,

> My gut says that it's probably not worth going back before 4.3.  There have been large
changes since then but I think that it's better to get as much data as possible, limiting
to 4.6+ might not give a particularly large install base.