cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Stavros Konstantaras <S.Konstanta...@uva.nl>
Subject Re: Management server + MySQL server requirements
Date Mon, 29 Feb 2016 11:16:21 GMT
Hi Simon,

Your proposal is correct,I currently have the recommended setup: 2 machines with nice amount
of cores and RAM, with management server and mysql installed. Usage server is not currently
used, BUT we do use MySQL replication for some form of HA.

However, the drawback that I see is that the management server on the second head node must
be down otherwise it causes the replication to fail pretty quickly. So in case of failure
of the first head node the admin needs to login to the second head node and initiate the management
server (or maybe you can script it and automate this).

Last requirement needed is a script that automates MySQL backups (crontab can be used for
that).

Kind Regards
Stavros

> On 28 Feb 2016, at 00:06, Simon Weller <sweller@ena.com> wrote:
>
> Josh,
>
> Unless you plan to create a massive cloud, there is probably no reason to separate MySQL
from the management server. It would actually be better to deploy two management servers and
then replicate MySQL over to the second server for some form of HA.

> You don't really need SSDs. A couple of 10/15K SAS/SATA drives will be fine.  Most of
the space allocate is for the MySQL databases. If you plan to use the usage service, the stats
collection will require more drive space. This is configured as a separate MySQL database.

> I'd suggest you deploy a minimum of 16GB of RAM and 8 cores or so.  If you plan to grow
the deployment rapidly, leave some empty memory slots for the future.

> - Si

at a separate server for MySQL DB.
> Is the bulk of the 250GB requirement used by the management server or the MySQL DB? Do
I need to use SSDs or is SAS or even SATA fine for the management server? Can I place the
MySQL DB on a VM as well?Is the MySQL server supposed to be public facing?Is it sufficient
to only connect to the management network? No need to access the storage or guest network?
> "The machines that will run the Management Server and MySQL database must meet the following
requirements. The same machines can also be used to provide primary and secondary storage,
such as via localdisk or NFS. The Management Server may be placed on a virtual machine.Operating
system:Preferred: CentOS/RHEL 6.3+ or Ubuntu 12.04(.1)64-bit x86 CPU (more cores results in
better performance)4 GB of memory250 GB of local disk (more results in better capability;
500 GB recommended)At least 1 NICStatically allocated IP addressFully qualified domain name
as returned by the hostname command"