cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Really really confused about Cloudstack networking
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2016 02:21:19 GMT
I would be willing to work with someone who really knows the networking
to fix the docs.

I have made specific suggestions about what I think needs to be changed
but it does require input from someone who actually understands
Cloudstack networking to properly fix the docs.

It would also be helpful to have the sources  to the drawings. I could
not find them in the git project but perhaps I did not look in all
possible places.

Ron

On 27/02/2016 5:56 PM, Simon Weller wrote:
> I do agree that the docs are confusing, especially if you have a limited knowledge of
networking concepts.

> In terms of the complexity, a lot of that has to do with the fact that every company
has different service requirements and ACS needs to be flexible enough to accommodate very
different underlying needs.

> It's always best to start with a basic zone, unless you REALLY need some functionality
within an advanced zone. As soon as you move into advanced zone networking, you need to have
a good understanding of layer 2/3 networking.

> If all you want to do is place public IP addresses on VMs directly, then a basic zone
is what you want. If you want to build complicated relationships between VMs using separate
L2 segments (with L3 routing within ACS), then you'll need advanced networking. Advanced networking
does open up a lot of exciting possibilities, including various SDN controllers, native VXLAN
(on KVM), GRE and many more options.

> Before you dive into the more specialized areas of ACS networking, it's always best to
start with something simple, so you can get your head around some of the general concepts.

> So Ron, to  answer your questions more directly:
>
> Basic Zone guest network is what you use for public ips. Basic zone is very simple and
doesn't offering any physical  private from public traffic separation. That's where security
groups come in (Think AWS style networking here). Now you can use multiple interfaces though
I believe, although I've never tried that before.

> In terms of DNS, you can use the same DNS server for both. I wasn't actually aware basic
zone gave you this option. Normally this is used for split DNS, where you may have internal
records not exposed publicly.

> As Lucian pointed out, ISCSI should be an available option under XenServer when you create
the primary storage.
> There should be no need for your primary storage network to need to talk to the management
server. The secondary storage network will need to be able to talk to the management server
when you pre-seed the XenServer specific templates during setup.

> All of our clouds are advanced networking based, so team, feel free to jump in if I've
stated anything incorrectly ;-)

> - Si

Advanced Zone with Security Groups.

>> I have a ACS+Xenserver setup and when I go to Infrastructure > Primary Storage
I definitely see "iscsi" as an option in the storage type.