cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Cristian Ciobanu" <cristia...@istream.today>
Subject Re: CloudStack vShpere 5.5 (VMware 5.5 )
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:38:02 GMT
Hi Ilya,

     I have an additional question, did you configured your VMware zones with basic network
or advanced ?

Regards,
Cristian
On 19.01.2016 20:24:49, ilya <ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
Please see response in line

On 1/19/16 6:07 AM, Cristian Ciobanu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a some questions regarding CloudStack and vSphere (VMware), i just need a confirmation
before start the test.

> 1. Can i use CloudStack and vSphere (vmware) without HA ? like on KVM
In general, CloudStack would not manage HA for VMware vSphere (as vmware
has this feature built in). I would recommend disabling CloudStack HA in
favor in native VMware HA to avoid any race conditions. You can also
disable HA in global settings to make sure it never kicks in. The
service offering that is created to be used - must have HA support
checked off..

> 2. Can i use CloudStack and vSphere (vmware) only with local storage ? like on KVM
Yes, you can.

> I saw many requirements on CloudsStack website but i don't saw other examples, this is
why put these questions.

> I want to run cloudstack with vmware on local storage and without HA.

By using local storage, you are forgoing the HA - no matter what
technology you choose to use.

I have a some VMware zones with this setup i've been running for at
least 3 years, so i can attest it works well.

One thing to consider, and you can check for release docs, 4.5 has a
partial support for vDS Networking. Later releases may have complete vDS
network support. However, if you dont really care about vDS, CloudStack
will manage the portgroups and vswitches, i'd suggest you start off with
ACS 4.5 see how it works. ACS 4.6 and 4.7 may work as well or better,
but i've yet to try it in production.

Lastly, make sure you get the cloudstack "noredist" build - which
contains the support for vmware and other proprietary techlogies.

ShapeBlue hosted CloudStack Repos have the VMware support built into
their RPMs.

Regards,
ilya