cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From ilya <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack vShpere 5.5 (VMware 5.5 )
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:24:39 GMT
Please see response in line

On 1/19/16 6:07 AM, Cristian Ciobanu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I have a some questions regarding CloudStack and vSphere (VMware), i just need a
confirmation before start the test.

>   1. Can i use CloudStack and vSphere (vmware) without HA  ? like on KVM
In general, CloudStack would not manage HA for VMware vSphere (as vmware
has this feature built in). I would recommend disabling CloudStack HA in
favor in native VMware HA to avoid any race conditions. You  can also
disable HA in global settings to make sure it never kicks in. The
service offering that is created to be used - must have HA support
checked off..

>   2. Can i use CloudStack and vSphere (vmware) only with local storage  ? like on KVM

Yes, you can.

>   I saw many requirements on CloudsStack website but i don't  saw other examples, this
is why put these questions.

>   I want to run cloudstack with vmware on local storage and without HA.

By using local storage, you are forgoing the HA - no matter what
technology you choose to use.

I have a some VMware zones with this setup i've been running for at
least 3 years, so i can attest it works well.

One thing to consider, and you can check for release docs, 4.5 has a
partial support for vDS Networking. Later releases may have complete vDS
network support. However, if you dont really care about vDS, CloudStack
will manage the portgroups and vswitches, i'd suggest you start off with
ACS 4.5 see how it works. ACS 4.6 and 4.7 may work as well or better,
but i've yet to try it in production.

Lastly, make sure you get the cloudstack "noredist" build - which
contains the support for vmware and other proprietary techlogies.

ShapeBlue hosted CloudStack Repos have the VMware support built into
their RPMs.

Regards,
ilya