cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net>
Subject Re: CS 4.5 + XEN 6.5 using bond and pvlan
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:59:27 GMT
Dear Stavros,

      We also use XS 6.5 with bonding(active-backup) and VLANs, but this
discussion is about PVLANs. It is a bit different isolation method that
should also work for some CS distributions.

Regards,

Vadim.

On 2015-11-24 09:28, Stavros Konstantaras wrote:

> [...]
> IMHO.
>
> This is not so related to the question that was asked but I wanted to
> be
> sure there weren't any "problems" in 4.6 that I didn't know about (so
> they
> could be addressed). It's perfectly fine not to upgrade yet. But please
> don't give people the impression there are "many problems" while you
> cannot
> name them.
>
> In the mean while we work on 4.6.1 and 4.7.0 and hopefully some day
> you'll
> have a smooth upgrade and enjoy the new features.
>
> If you need any help with upgrading, please drop us a line on the dev
> list.
>
> Regards,
> Remi
>
> On 18/11/15 15:45, "Vadim Kimlaychuk" <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>
> Dear Remi,
>
> My apologize to mislead Audrey with notations - problem were
> with VPC, not VR. Voting process for 4.6 release was also very
> difficult. Of course official release will be stabilized, but from user
> perspective I will say the same to Aundery - 4.6 will not solve his
> problem with OVS plugin and probably will bring more problems than
> 4.5.2. May be this is just fear before release, but this is my personal
> fear - I will wait until 4.6.1 definitely. My 4.5.2 VPC works too good
> to take a risk of immediate update :)
>
> Vadim.
>
> On 2015-11-18 15:32, Remi Bergsma wrote:
>
> Hi Vadim,
>
> What VR problems do you refer to in ACS 4.6?
>
> Regards,
> Remi
>
> On 18/11/15 12:52, "Vadim Kimlaychuk" <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>
> Dear Audrey,
>
> OVS plugin, as I remember, last seen OK before CS 4.4.0. I have created
> bug report in JIRA
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-7446 [1] [1 [1]].
> Since 4.5.1
> this
> plugin is not in the list anymore. The reason, I guess, is outdated
> code
> that is not compatible with this release. CS 4.6 version has a lot of
> problems with VR, so I would not recommend you to install it. Don't
> know
> if OVS is back there. I doubt.
>
> I think you may find OVS plugin at CS source tree, but whether you want
> to update it? Is PVLAN so important for you?
>
> Vadim.
>
> On 2015-11-18 13:30, Audrey Roberto B Baldin wrote:
>
> Hi Vadim, thanks for your help.
>
> After reading your message I remembered of the plugin area of CS and
> yes, the OVS plugin is missing. So I ask: Why is it missing? I had seen
> it before (CS 4.5.1 probably) and using XEN 6.5 was able to configure
> PVLAN.
>
> Is it possible to instal the OVS plugin? Where can I find it?
>
> Does CS 4.6 has the plugin out-of-the-box?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/PVLAN+for+isolation+within+a+VLAN
[2]

>> [2]
>> [1 [1]]
>> XenServer uses OVS and CS have OVS pluging to work with. OVS plugin
>> for cloudstack hasn't been updated for a long time as I know. At my CS
>> 4.5.2 this plugin is missing, though in older versions of CS it was
>> present. I think this functionality does not work for XenServer 6.5.
>> Use
>> VLANs - it is more reliable.
>>
>> Vadim.
>>
>> On 2015-11-17 21:11, Audrey Roberto B Baldin wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> I installed CS 4.5.2 and I'm using XEN 6.5. There is one NIC dedicated
>> for Public traffic, one for MGMT + Secondary Storage, one for Primary
>> Storage and a bond configured for the Guest traffic. Zone is installed
>> as Advanced without Security Groups.
>>
>> When I add a Guest Network with PVLAN, the network is created, but
>> when
>> I try to create a new instance it does not start. I realized that the
>> virtual router also does not start. Adding a Guest Network without
>> PVLAN works as expected.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea about it?
>>
>> Looking into the log I could find the information below:
>>
>> 2015-11-17 12:03:48,924 WARN [c.c.h.x.r.CitrixResourceBase]
>> (DirectAgent-280:ctx-c1d905bf) callHostPlugin failed for cm
>> d: setup-pvlan-dhcp with args dhcp-mac: 06:b9:40:00:08:91, nw-label:
>> GUESTBR0, isolated-pvlan: 999, op: add, dhcp-name:
>> r-10-VM, primary-pvlan: 900, dhcp-ip: 200.150.236.11, due to There was
>> a failure communicating with the plugin.
>>
>> 2015-11-17 12:03:48,924 WARN [c.c.a.m.DirectAgentAttache]
>> (DirectAgent-280:ctx-c1d905bf) Seq 1-6584825605169088819: Thr
>> owable caught while executing command
>> com.cloud.utils.exception.CloudRuntimeException: callHostPlugin failed
>> for cmd: setup-pvlan-dhcp with args dhcp-mac: 06:
>> b9:40:00:08:91, nw-label: GUESTBR0, isolated-pvlan: 999, op: add,
>> dhcp-name: r-10-VM, primary-pvlan: 900, dhcp-ip: 200.1
>> 50.236.11, due to There was a failure communicating with the plugin.
>> at

com.cloud.hypervisor.xenserver.resource.CitrixResourceBase.callHostPlugin(CitrixResourceBase.java:3686)

>> at

com.cloud.hypervisor.xenserver.resource.CitrixResourceBase.execute(CitrixResourceBase.java:1708)

>> at

com.cloud.hypervisor.xenserver.resource.CitrixResourceBase.executeRequest(CitrixResourceBase.java:541)

>> at

com.cloud.hypervisor.xenserver.resource.XenServer56Resource.executeRequest(XenServer56Resource.java:64)

>> at

com.cloud.hypervisor.xenserver.resource.XenServer610Resource.executeRequest(XenServer610Resource.java:87)

>> at

com.cloud.hypervisor.xenserver.resource.XenServer620SP1Resource.executeRequest(XenServer620SP1Resource.java:6

>> 5)
>> at

com.cloud.agent.manager.DirectAgentAttache$Task.runInContext(DirectAgentAttache.java:302)

>> at

org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable$1.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:49)

>> at

org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext$1.call(DefaultManagedContext.java:56)

>> at

org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext.callWithContext(DefaultManagedContext.java:1

>> 03)
>> at

org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext.runWithContext(DefaultManagedContext.java:53

>> )
>> at

org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:46)

>> at
>> java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
>> at

java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.j

>> ava:178)
>> at

java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:292