cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: CS 4.5 + XEN 6.5 using bond and pvlan
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 19:29:27 GMT
Hi Vadim,

Thanks for your reply. For the 4.6 release we changed the way we work. Instead of branching
off early and making a release branch stable, we decided to stabilise master. We got many
complaints that master didn’t compile at times or functionality wasn’t tested before it
entered master. Making master stable was quite some work, even harder than making a release
branch stable. I can imagine that process gives you the impression of “many problems”.

In reality, this should bring more stable releases. 4.7 will be built on top of 4.6, so if
4.6 is good, 4.7 will be better (and so on). In the past, 4.5 was not built on top of 4.4
(so you saw problems coming back and had to wait until a .1 or .2 release, indeed).

4.6.0 was released after just two RC voting rounds, while previous releases needed more of
them. That says something about the quality IMHO.

This is not so related to the question that was asked but I wanted to be sure there weren’t
any “problems” in 4.6 that I didn’t know about (so they could be addressed). It’s
perfectly fine not to upgrade yet. But please don’t give people the impression there are
“many problems” while you cannot name them.

In the mean while we work on 4.6.1 and 4.7.0 and hopefully some day you’ll have a smooth
upgrade and enjoy the new features.

If you need any help with upgrading, please drop us a line on the dev list.

Regards,
Remi